Ladle up some of this hearty soup with a side of fresh baked cornbread and I am in comfort food heaven!
One of my favorite things about this tortilla soup is that I can alter the recipe according to what I have on hand. Its the perfect recipe to use up lots of veggies before they spoil!
Also, my husband and toddler gobble this up! And who am I fooling? Its always a victory for me when my two-year-old eats my cooking without complaint….lol.
I stumbled upon this vegan tortilla soup recipe a year ago and I knew immediately that I had to give it a shot. Over the past year I’ve made this tortilla soup more than a dozen times and made a few alterations over time.
Hearty Vegan Tortilla Soup Serves 6
Total Time – 45 min (prep – 10 min; cook – 35 min)
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 C corn (frozen or canned)
- 5-6 green onions, sliced
- 1 (28oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 C vegetable broth
- 3 Tbs cumin
- 2 Tbs flaxseed meal OR chia seeds (chia seeds will add more texture to soup)
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 avocado, chopped (for topping)
- 1 lime (for topping)
- Heat oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add green pepper, zucchini, corn, and green onions; cook 5-8 minutes until veggies begin to soften.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, vegetable broth, cumin, and flaxseed meal. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 25 minutes. Reduce heat and add black beans, salt, and pepper.
- Serve with avocado and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.