After deciding to transition to a healthier diet, we quickly learned how important it was to keep a well-stocked pantry – stocked with the right foods, that is!
If we got a snack attack or sugar craving, we knew we were goners if we could just head to the pantry and grab a bag of chips or pull out a box of brownie mix or Cheerios. (We still struggle with that last one…..lol)
Here’s a snapshot of what we like to keep on hand:
- oatmeal, rolled and steel cut – our favorite breakfast option
- whole wheat flour
- brown rice flour
- flaxseed meal
- quinoa (I love cooking with quinoa because it is packed with protein and cooks up in 15 minutes)
- brown rice
Nuts – one of the most expensive elements of a plant-based diet. I have had to build my supply slowly and I try to use sparingly.
- cashews – amazing to use for vegan cheese
- walnuts – delicious snacking and great for gluten free pie crusts
- pecans – snacking and baking
Canned Goods – I am not in love with canned goods, but buy them for convenience. I buy organic and low-sodium as much as possible.
- black beans – instant meal!
- pinto beans
- garbonzo beans/chickpeas – awesome for homemade hummus
- vegetarian refried beans
- diced tomatoes – fire-roasted is our favorite!
- tomato paste
- tomato sauce
- vegetable broth – we like to use broth as a substitute for oil when roasting food in the oven or cooking on the frying pan
- pink Himalayan sea salt – packed with 84 minerals, this salt is actually really good for you!! No more guilt for adding salt!
- dark chocolate chips – 60% or more…….I prefer 85%
- coconut palm sugar
- 100% maple syrup
- unsweetened cocoa powder – chocolate that is actually healthy! (I know, its a dream come true!)
- lemon juice
- coconut oil
- olive oil
Spices – one of the things I enjoy most about cooking plant-based recipes is the amount of spices I use! My food has never had more flavor! We use a large variety of spices, but these are our favorites.
- cinnamon – we literally put in every baked good
- chili powder
- itallian seasoning
Dried Fruit – perfect for the sweet tooth or adding to baked goods
- dates – packed with fiber and natural sugar, dates have quickly become our favorite sweetener
- raisins – my daughters favorite snack
- unsweetened coconut flakes
Toddler Food – my stash for the diaper bag and those moments when you want to give them something special
- pre-packaged raisins
- applesauce pouches – seriously the BEST invention ever!!
- gluten-free pretzels
- air-popped popcorn – I like to make a big batch and store it in a gallon size bag.
- mac ‘n cheese – one of my daughter’s favorite foods so I try to keep a box on hand, I try to buy Annie’s or Ancient Harvest
- yogurt – another favorite food, I like to buy options from grass-fed cows and I watch the sugar content (10g or less)
What about you? I would love to hear about your favorite staples!