Goodmorning world. It’s Saturday.
And we all know what that means……Wancake Day!!!!
A few months into marriage, my husband and I decided it was absolutely necessary to start a family tradition. Every Saturday morning we should have pancakes….no waffles….no pancakes…..Ugh, how were we ever to decide! He loved waffles; I loved pancakes. As good little newlyweds, we chose to compromise and thus, Wancake Day was born!
Come visit us on a Saturday morning and I can pretty much guarantee that you will find yourself sitting before a heaping plate of pancakes…..or waffles. (It all depends on who’s cooking. Lol)
We love experimenting with new recipes ever so often, but today I am going to share our all-time favorite wancake recipe that we found shortly after going vegan.
(Thanks to a wonderful contributor to allrecipes.com for the inspiration for this recipe!!)
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Pancakes Serves 2-3
Total Time – 45 min (prep – 10 min; cook – 35 min)
- 2 Tbs flaxseed meal
- 6 Tbs water
- 2 C oatmeal
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1 3/4 unsweetened almond milk
- 2 Tbs unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tbs honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 C chocolate chips (optional)
- Whisk together flaxseed meal and water in a small bowl and set aside.
- Using a food processor or blender, grind oatmeal into a flour. Add flaxseed mixture and all remaining ingredients, except chocolate chips. Blend thoroughly. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Cook as waffles or pancakes and enjoy! (For pancakes, measure 1/2 C batter for each pancake. Flip when pancakes become bubbly and the edges begin to cook.)