I am so excited to share this quinoa salad with y’all today! It was one of my first vegan finds and it gave me hope that I could actually maintain (and enjoy) a vegan diet.
This zesty salad is bursting with color and flavor. It is one of my favorites to bring to a party or serve for guests because everyone (including toddlers!!) loves it!!!
For those unfamiliar with quinoa (kee-no-wah), it is an incredible grain that cooks up similar to rice, but in a third of the time. It is packed with protein, fiber, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
(I give full credit for this recipe to a contributor at allrecipes.com)
Zesty Quinoa Salad Serves 6
Total Time – 30 min (prep – 15 min; cook – 15 min)
- 2 C water
- 1 C uncooked quinoa**
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 C grape tomatoes, halved
- 5 green onions, sliced
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp Himalayan sea salt
- 1/2 tsp rep pepper flakes (I omit this when serving for kids)
- 1 small handful cilantro, chopped
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa and simmer approximately 15 minutes, until quinoa is cooked and water is gone.
- Meanwhile, combine beans, tomatoes, and green onions in medium bowl; set aside. Whisk together lime juice, oil and spices.
- Stir cooked quinoa into the bean mixture. Add the lime juice mixture and stir. Finally, mix in cilantro.
- Serve warm or cold. Perfect as a side, main dish, or even as “salsa” with tortilla chips.
**Rinsing quinoa before cooking can help eliminate a bitter flavor that accompanies this grain. Be sure to use a colander with tiny holes so the quinoa doesn’t fall through.