So much life happens in the kitchen! I cannot even begin to count the number of conversations I have shared while sitting at the table, standing at the stovetop, or washing dishes.
Simply put, something inexplainable happens when people eat together.
Maybe this is why I delight in sharing my food with others. It is as though I am extending an invitation – welcoming people into my world – to live life with me.
Tonight I had the pleasure of gifting some of my dearest friends with this new soup recipe. It is the perfect flavor combination for a brisk fall evening. Rich, creamy soup that awakens the taste buds, satisfying the body and comforting the soul.
Dare I call this soup decadent?
Cashews and coconut cream team up to bring a richness normally only found in dairy. Also, pureeing this soup creates a perfect opportunity to sneak some extra veggies into my toddlers diet (and mine too)!
Creamy Butternut Squash Soup Serves 6
Total Time – 1hr (prep – 15 min; cook – 45 min)
- 1 Tbs Coconut oil
- 2 leeks
- 1/2 C cashews
- 2 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 4 C low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 C canned coconut cream, room temperature
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- Heat oil in stock pot over medium heat. Add leeks and cook for 2-4 minutes until fragrant. Add cashews, cooking an additional 3-5 minutes until cashews begin to brown. Add squash, carrots, celery, and garlic; cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for aprox. 30 minutes, until squash is easily pierced with a fork. Remove from heat and puree with immersion blender (or stand-up blender). Stir in coconut cream and spices.
- Serve warm