Eggplant mushroom what??? Yes, I know, the name definitely piques interest and…. well, frankly, it might not sound too tasty.
But trust me on this one!!! I found this recipe over a year ago and it is now one of my husband’s all-time favorite dishes. (Yes, a little celebration happens in our kitchen when he learns I’m making it for dinner.)
And let’s be honest, how many people have ever cooked an eggplant…..or even seen one, for that matter. I know I hadn’t until a year ago when I decided to brave new waters in the produce department of Walmart.
Eggplant and mushrooms join together to create a scrumptious meal that is both hearty and healthy!
Eggplant Mushroom Lasagna Serves 8
Total Time – 1 hr (prep time – 25 min; cook time – 36 min)
- 2 Eggplants, peeled and sliced in 1/4″ patties
- 1 Tbs coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 16oz mushrooms
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 16oz tomato sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: 3 cups cooked quinoa
- optional: marinara sauce for serving
- Arrange sliced eggplant on two baking sheets, lightly brushing both sides with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil for three minutes. Flip eggplant and broil for another three minutes. Set aside and preheat oven to 350º.
- Heat coconut oil over medium heat in a large frying pan or wok. Add onions, mushrooms, garlic, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook 5-8 minutes until onions soften and the mushrooms begin to release their moisture.
- Spread half of the onion mixture along the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Next, layer half of the eggplant, followed by half of the tomato sauce. Lightly sprinkle pepper on top of the tomato sauce. Repeat layers, using the other half of the ingredients.
- Bake for 30 minutes and enjoy!
- Optional: Serve with quinoa and marinara sauce for added flavor.