Fall is right around the corner, bringing cool weather, changing leaves, and PIES!!!!
Mmmm……few things can wet my appetite more than a warm apple pie, fresh out of the oven! Can you tell I’m in love?!?!
With such inspiration in mind I ventured into the kitchen, seeking to create a healthy……(ahem, healthier) version of this most beloved treat!
Much thanks to The Plantpower Way cookbook by Rich Roll and Julie Piatt, I have stumbled upon a new family favorite recipe that I’m sure we will be making for years to come!
Apple Pie *adapted from The Plantpower Way by Rich Roll and Julie Piatt
Total Time – 1hr 15min (Prep Time – 35min; Cook Time – 40min)
- 4 apples, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c. organic sugar
- 1/4 c. corn starch or arrowroot powder
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 3 Tbs lemon juice or juice of 1 lemon
- 2 c. raw walnuts
- pinch sea salt
- 1/4 c. flaxseed meal
- 10 dates, soaked in water and pitted
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 325º F
- Combine apples with sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Stir until apples are thoroughly coated and set aside.
- Pulse the walnuts in a food processor. Add salt and pulse a few times. Next, add flaxseed meal and pulse. Finally, add dates, a few at a time, until a dough ball starts to form.
- Thoroughly coat a tart pan with the coconut oil and firmly press the crust mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Arrange apple slices around the edge of the dish, creating a circular/spiral pattern. Continue layering and spiraling the apple slices until the pan is filled or your desired pattern is complete.
- Brush leftover juice from filling mixture over the top of the apples and bake for 40 minutes.
- Let cool or enjoy warm with your favorite ice cream on top.